How to start working with us.
Geolance is a marketplace for remote freelancers who are looking for freelance work from clients around the world.
Create an account.
Simply sign up on our website and get started finding the perfect project or posting your own request!
Fill in the forms with information about you.
Let us know what type of professional you're looking for, your budget, deadline, and any other requirements you may have!
Choose a professional or post your own request.
Browse through our online directory of professionals and find someone who matches your needs perfectly, or post your own request if you don't see anything that fits!
As any hostess would agree, a beautiful and distinctive light fixture is an essential element of interior decorating. To not have to consult experts, ask your spouse to read our post to save money on the family budget.
Let's start with the basics. A light fixture consists of a combination of wires connected and two or more sockets. Socket wires are made of grounding, white or black wires are usually hot, the green wire is the ground. So a light fixture with only one lamp has three connections: neutral - for a link to a source of electricity in the junction box, hot - one side of the switch and lamp socket.
The simplest is the connection of the wire "hot" wire and socket "neutral." To connect them, you need to do as follows:
1. Turn off the electricity supply for safety purposes (turn off breakers and switches);
2. Remove the cover from the fixture;
3. Check whether there is a wire under the ceiling;
4. Disconnect the wires from their sockets (if they are not already disconnected). Each wire must be marked (usually letters or numbers) and must not be mixed with other wires;
5. First, connect the "hot" wire to the socket, twist them clockwise and tighten;
6. Tighten screws on wires and sockets, attach a cap. Then repeat steps 1-5 with another wire and one of the remaining sockets. After that you should check whether everything works correctly: turn on electricity supply for safety purposes (turn on breakers and switches);
7. Screw the cover back on.
Loose wire connection
Wire connector is easy to install. You will need a screwdriver to tighten the screws and special equipment for drawing connectors from behind the socket. This method of repair is considered very reliable and recommended for home use. Neutral wire connection is straightforward since there are practically no requirements.
The most troublesome case is when the fixture does not hold. In this case, it is necessary to lay a new wire and connect it with the socket as follows:
1. As you can not turn off the electricity, make a bright lead-in wire from a thick copper wire to connect it with a test lamp;
2. Remove the cover from the fixture, as described in step 1 of the previous section;
3. Check whether there is a wire under the ceiling and where you need to lay it light;
4. Connect one end of the new wire with a screw terminal and tighten it; the other end connects the lead-in wire from step 1. Then twist clockwise around their sockets and tighten screws to fix them in place;
5. Attach a cap to each wire to hide twisted ends. Turn on electricity supply for safety purposes (turn on breakers and switches);
6. Screw the cover back on.
Do not forget to take care of safety: appliances should be installed by a professional. Otherwise, you might get burned or electric shock. Also, the operation must be carried out with great caution; if it is not clear how to connect wires, call an expert in electrical wiring. Do not use to bind wires "wire nuts." They are intended to replace the insulation of the ends of the wire. Wire connectors are designed to connect wires in any order without twisting the ends of the wire.
Do not forget about the switch box.
If you have a wall switch, do not forget to clean it and check it for tightness. This will save you from discomfort when using electric appliances or equipment in your house. Also, if you have an old light fixture and want to change it, check first if your walls were adequately prepared to install a switch and box.
Light bulb replacement
light bulb slot for LED light bulbs is usually located behind the lamp. To replace it, you do not need to turn off electricity (if there is a possibility of doing it), remove the glass cover and grasp the base with one hand, gently pull out the filament until its end clears the socket; clean off the dirt from sockets; screw in a new bulb and test it by turning on electricity for safety purposes.
Light bulbs with a round screw base are easy to replace: twist counterclockwise and pull out the filament until its end clears the socket; clean off the dirt from sockets, insert a new light bulb and turn clockwise.
Reflector lamps - incandescent or halogen - are easy to replace by following the instructions in the previous paragraph. Some reflector lamps have a small screw base, which is used for fixing them when assembling a lamp post. This lamp should be screwed in carefully and with great care in order not to damage it.
Light bulbs in recessed fixtures can only be removed if a unique pin is provided for it. If this pin is not available, you need to push the lamp from behind and then pull out the filament until its end clears the socket; clean off the dirt from sockets, insert a new bulb and turn on electricity for safety purposes.
Mounting screws for a light fixture
To mount the lamp, you will need:
- Screws for mounting the lamp;
- Drill and drill bit (0.9-1.5 mm);
- Electric drill or screwdriver;
- Tape measure;
device for cutting metal pipes. If you have not purchased a lamp yet, you can pick up the one that matches your room. For reference:
- Living room is better to choose lamps with shades;
- Bedroom - lamps with small shades or without them (if they are adjustable) will be suitable;
- Hallway does not require special lighting. However, below are several rules of how to assemble a light fixture on the wall.
The lamp cord must be fixed in the box.
1. Cut holes for sockets and switches in the frame or wall where you want to put a lamp;
2. Measure and mark the place of centers for mounting screws, drill pilot Holes (diameter 0.9-1.5 mm) and screw them with two screws at each point;
3. Set the lamp in the frame and make sure that the light fixture is firmly fixed;
4. Connect wires as described above (from neutral wire connect another wire to a switch, from life - with socket), then cut the end of the cable, strip off her insulation and screw each wire clockwise into its place;
5. Fix all the wires to the box with screws, and then attach it with a lock ring or fasteners.
The most challenging thing is not to screw in each wire but to determine which one is neutral and live. If they are still confused, use insulation tape. Attach this indicator on the wire of interest so that you can see her.
If you decide to install electrical wiring (for example, if the lights go out), before that, check what wire size is required for your circuit. To do this, you will need a wire stripper and multimeter. An exposed wire of any size shows a voltage of 110 volts.
White, red and black wires have different functions: white - neutral wire, red - the current has a "hot" wire, black - this is also a "hot" wire. Therefore, when connecting the wires into a single line, one colour should be on one end and another colour on the other. Do not forget that the cables are connected to the ends, and black to black, white - too white, red - to red.
Grounding wire must be connected to the green screw of any appliance, wiring and switch box. This will protect you from shock in case of a short circuit.
From your electrician: just for safety!
1) Inspect all wires before connecting them;
2) always connect white wire with white, black with black and red with red;
3) if you are connecting wires in an old switch box, make sure it is grounded. Better yet, replace it with a new one;
4) always tighten screws on device cords to prevent wire loosening.
5) check all outlets for power before plugging in appliances;
6) never try to repair wiring or switches by yourself;
7) never install or remove a switch box cover without shutting off the power.
The technology of installation - the most simple, if only to know how to solder wires together.
A light fixture is damaged or not lit up? First, you need to check the condition of the bulb, then check that it does not come into contact with other elements of the ceiling. Next, unscrew and remove it from its place. The electrical box should not be in touch with the top. Otherwise, this will result in a short circuit. Replace it or return to its original position and tighten the screws. Try out if it works. If not, insert another bulb in the socket.
If you do not want any problems with electricity, you must regularly check your light fixtures for loose wires, wear and tear. This will allow you to repair everything at home, without spending large sums of money.
A loose connection of wires can occur when the fixture is knocked down. If this happens, check all links for good contact by slightly bending or twisting them. Also, be sure to tighten screws in your device cords. Sometimes the switch itself malfunctions, so it will need to be replaced with a new one. Remember that any work on electrical wiring must be carried out only by experts because incorrectly repaired can lead to a short circuit or fire!
Electrical wires are an integral part of our daily life. Without them, we cannot imagine the existence of any electrical appliance in the house. However, if they are not used correctly, this may cause concern and even death. So knowing how to connect wires is incredibly important.
Decorative light fixtures for your home
The light fixture is essential in every household, whether it is a lamp or chandelier. A beautiful design with polished glass elements that reflect the light around the room - it's fantastic! With proper care, chandeliers with crystals will last for decades. If they are brightened regularly, their lustre will look like new.
If the fixture is brass or made of another material, it is necessary to remove all oxidized layers and polish everything with a special cream or metal suitable agent. You can use any soft cloth - cotton, terry or microfiber. Do not use clothes made of synthetic fibres, as they may cause the appearance of scratches on the fixture.
Light switch - is also an essential element in many homes. This is the switch on / off, which is used to turn on or off the lights. So today, we will talk about how switches are set up.
The most common type of installation - is a two-wire system, where two black wires are coming from each fixture, plus a
Do not forget that accessories like crystals can be cleaned with a soft, damp cloth moistened with special liquids for glass surfaces. And do not leave them in direct sunlight on the surface. Otherwise, it will fade and lose its original appearance.
Geolance is an on-demand staffing platform
We're a new kind of staffing platform that simplifies the process for professionals to find work. No more tedious job boards, we've done all the hard work for you.
Geolance is a search engine that combines the power of machine learning with human input to make finding information easier.